Sunday 10 April 2016

Bryan's Log - Sunday 10/4/16

The plan this Sunday was to go skiing at Myrkdalen, the largest ski resort in Western Norway. My first work placement was with the company Myrkdalen where I worked in the office which was a 5 minute walk from our accommodation and got to visit the ski resort twice to take promotional photos for the company, so I was familiar with the setting. I went with Logan and Eilidh on the 0830 bus to Myrkdalen and arrived there around half an hour later. We headed for the ski rental building and got Logan and Eilidh kitted out. We didn't really know what we were doing but managed alright somehow. I didn't want to go skiing but I wanted to visit Myrkdalen again and take photos for *the blog*. 

After taking photos and walking around Myrkdalen I got on the next bus heading back to Voss. It's an enjoyable journey: seeing rivers, waterfalls, trees and Nordic style architecture. 

The sun was out in all its glory in Voss. After arriving back to Rogne all of us not skiing (myself, Molly, Yoel and Adam) went out to the street and had lunch outside at Tre Brør Café (Three Brother Cafe) while basking in the sun and looking out at the snow covered mountains and half frozen lake. I wrote out postcards for my family and enjoyed having a relaxing time outside. This really made me want to spend more time outside at home, although I can say it's not so often you get days like this in Shetland. I also met one of the local statues that sits outside the cafe. She didn't say much.


A very one sided conversation

Having spent enough time in the sun relaxing, we went for a walk to visit one of the local shops where our friend Gry, who was in Shetland as part of the exchange, works (shoutout to Gry). On Sunday in Norway large supermarkets are, by law, required to be closed. This helps support smaller local shops. We went the "Rong" way but made it to the shop unscathed. On the way a local cat caught our attention. He seemed very "rustic" so we nicknamed him Tom Shabby.


Going the "Rong" way
Local cat "Tom Shabby" enjoying claps in the sun

Shopping and visiting over, we took the long way back to Rogne and along the way Adam showed me how to get to my next work placement, which I start tomorrow at Active Brands where I will be taking photos for a brand. It's a bit further away than my first placement but I'm looking forward to it.

"IT'S REALLY NICE HERE TAKE A PICTURE OF ME" Photo credit: Yoel Howard
Scenery on the way back to Rogne

No comments:

Post a Comment